Hyperhidrosis is the condition characterized by abnormally increased perspiration, in excess of that required for regulation of body temperature. Some patients afflicted with the condition experience a certain degree of reduction in their quality of life, depending on how severe their condition is.
hyperhidrosis is estimated at around 1% of the population, afflicting men and women equally. That number, however, does not reflect the true number of cases since the condition is not always diagnosed; most patients usually disregard the excessive sweating and it never occurs to them that they might have a medical condition.
- Definition From Wikipedia
Yeap.... it never really occured to me that it was a medical condition until it was told to me by a rare fellow "kaki"-hyperdrosis that you could get surgery to treat it. There's even a local support group for the condition @ www.wethandsclub.com. Now I know there's a name for what I call sweaty hands and feet...
- Palmar Hyperhidrosis - is the excessive sweating of the hands. This condition is said to bring great social impacts as our hands are much more exposed in social and professional activities than any other part of our body.
- Plantar Hyperhidrosis - Excessive sweating of the feet. The social impact it brings might not be as huge as palmar sweating but can be very bothersome to some. Foot sweating can exist alone or together with palmar hyperhidrosis too.
And its true that it does reduce some quality of life. Here are some of mine :D
- Shaking Hands - A person once shook my hand and after that wiped her hand on her skirt to dry of my sweat. From then on I try to make sure I dry my hands as much as I can before shaking anyone's hands
- Paper Work - In school in the era where we were using fountain pens. I used to have another sheet of paper beneath my hand as I wrote into the exercise book as a "hand-pe-lapik" so that I would not smudge the ink from the exercise book
- Telephone - When I was still schooling and talking on the phone for long periods was the thing I used to do... well... the longer the conversation the more sweat would trickle down my hand
- Computer - I would sometimes have tissue to wipe my hands so as to not wet the notebook keys too much
- Shoes - I need to wear open work shoes... otherwise my feet will feet all squishy in closed shoes.. even with some open shoes I need to use feet powder.. that makes me the culprit in the office that leaves powdered footprints on the office grey carpet floors... On a hot day even with sandals my feet sloshes around in my sandals.. so it makes it a little harder to walk in them.
- Travelling Shoes - I have just learned that when I travel... i need to bring feet deodorant... yes.. :D there is feet deodorant.. it prevents from stinky feet :D
- On a hot day - my hands and feet feels like its all swelled up in sweat and washing them gives a temporary relief... Its like when you are all sweaty after sports.. a good shower makes you feel all fresh again.. same for my hands and feet :D
I have grown to live around it and the good thing about it is that it give me interesting stories to tell even to blog about ;D

0 comments:
Post a Comment